Frequently, a variety of vegetables, including carrots, peas, & onions, are cooked with the meat in shepherds pie recipe to give it flavor, texture, and a tinge of sweetness. In order to increase the savory quality of the dish, the meat is frequently browned and spiced. It is also typical to add a savory gravy or sauce to the filling to moisten it and enhance its flavor.
A substantial layer of rich mashed potatoes is placed on top of the savory meat and vegetable mixture. Typically, the potatoes are boiled and then mashed using butter, milk, & seasoning until luxuriously smooth. The mashed potatoes bake into a golden crust that contrasts delightfully with the savory contents.
Prep Time: 05 min
Cook Time: 50 min
Total Time: 1 hour 05 min
- 2 lb. peeled & quartered
- 2 cups, mixed vegetables
- 1 ½ lb. ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Pepper or other seasonings
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Put the quartered and skinned potatoes in a medium pot. Add at least one inch of cold water on top. Add a pinch of salt. Cook for about twenty mins, until soft, after bringing to a boil.
- Set the temperature of the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Melt four tbsp of the butter in a sauté skillet over a medium flame as the potatoes cook. Cook the chopped onions for ten mins, till they are soft.
- Vegetables should be added in accordance with their cooking time if you’re including them. Since carrots take just as long to cook as onions do, they should be prepared with the onions.
- Since peas and corn require very little cooking time, add them after the onions are finished cooking or once the meat has begun to cook.
- In the pan with the onions & veggies, add the ground beef. Cook till the pink is gone. If necessary, drain any extra fat from the pan. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Beef broth and Worcestershire sauce should be added. Simmer the soup for a while, then turn down the heat. Cook for ten mins with the lid off, adding more beef stock as needed to prevent the meat from drying out.
- Once the filling has been cooked, give it a taste to see if more Worcestershire, salt, or other ingredients are necessary.
- Remove the potatoes from the pot then place them in a bowl alongside the remaining four tbsp of butter when they are fully cooked. Use a fork or potato masher to mash, then taste and add salt and pepper as needed to taste.
- In a sizable baking dish, spread the cooked filling in a uniform layer.
- Cook for thirty mins at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, till bubbling and golden. To help the top of the mashed potatoes brown, if necessary, broil for the final few mins.
- Finally you can enjoy this delicious meal with our refreshing homemade lemonade.
Although lamb is the traditional ingredient in shepherd’s pie, you may simply replace it with ground beef, chicken, or turkey depending on your preferences or dietary requirements. With salt, pepper, & any additional spices or herbs that you choose, season your meat filling thoroughly. By doing this, the flavors will be enhanced and your shepherd’s pie will taste even better.
Calories: 865 Kcal, Carbs: 51 g, Protein: 25g, Fats: 10g
Frequently Asked Questions About Shepherds Pie:
Q: Why is shepherd’s pie called that?
The Scottish meal that served lamb or mutton in place of beef is thought to be the inspiration for shepherds pie. Sheep were herded by shepherds, therefore the name. The mash potato topping’s grainy appearance is similar to a sheep’s wooly coat.
Q: Is shepherds pie eaten hot or cold?
The pie can be eaten hot or cold, but it is said to taste better when it has been warmed up than when eaten straight from the oven.