The ultimate pleasure for the summer is our traditional strawberry shortcake recipe. Imagine a cake with layers of delicate, buttery cake, layers of lush, juicy strawberries, and a billowing cloud of freshly made whipped cream on top. You can make a dessert that is as beautiful to look at as it is to eat with just a few easy steps.
Prepare the homemade cake base first, a delicate work of art that strikes the ideal harmony between richness and lightness. Your kitchen will fill with the delicious aroma of butter and vanilla as it bakes, teasing you with a taste you won’t soon forget. So let’s start working on the layers of strawberry shortcake dessert.
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 60 min
Strawberry Shortcake Ingredients:
Whipped cream + Strawberries
- Heavy cream, 1 cup
- Pure vanilla extract, 1 tsp
- Quartered strawberries, 7 cups
- Granulated sugar, ¼ cup & 2 tbsp
- Baking powder, 4 tsp
- Cold buttermilk, 1 cup
- Granulated sugar, ¼ cup
- Baking soda, ½ tsp
- Cubed unsalted butter, ¾ cup
- Salt, 1 tsp
- All-purpose flour, 2 & ¾ cup
- Coarse sugar, to sprinkle
- Heavy cream, 2 tbsp
- Strawberries: In a bowl, mix the strawberries with 1/4 cup (50g) of granulated sugar. Refrigerate till ready to use. The strawberries’ wonderful juices can now be released at this time.
- To make biscuits: Oven temperature should be set to 400°F (204°C). Salt, baking soda, baking powder, granulated sugar, & flour should all be combined in a bowl or food processor. Once everything is mixed, whisk or pulse. Using a pastry cutter or several quick pulses in the food processor, incorporate the cubed butter into the dry ingredients after adding it. Blend till coarse crumbs form. Pour the mixture, if you processed it in a food processor, into a bowl.
- On top, add buttermilk. Using a big spoon or rubber spatula, fold everything together until it starts to come together. Avoid overworking the dough. There will be some moist places and the dough will be crumbly and shaggy. On a work surface that has been generously dusted with flour, pour the dough and any crumbles and gently bring everything together. In this stage, keep extra flour close by and use it frequently to flour your hands as you work surface. As much as possible, flatten into a 3/4 inch thick rectangle using floured hands or a floured rolling pin. Fold the first side into the center before folding the second. Horizontally turn the dough. Gently flatten into a rectangle that is 3/4 inch thick.One last time, repeat the folding. Flatten the remaining rectangle to a thickness of 3/4 inch.
- Use a biscuit cutter to cut into 2.75 or 3 inch circles. Up till you have around 10 to 12 biscuits, re-roll/flatten any leftovers and cut more circles.
- Place closely together on a baking sheet that has been prepared with silicone baking mat or parchment paper, or place in a cast iron pan. Ensure that the cookies are touching.
- Coarse sugar is sprinkled on top after two tbsp of heavy cream are applied to the tops. Bake the biscuits for eighteen to twenty-two mins, till the tops are golden brown. After taking the pan out of the oven, let the food cool for at least ten mins before assembling.
- Mix the heavy cream, two tbsp granulated sugar, & vanilla on the highest setting for three mins, depending on whether you’re using a hand mixer or a stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Cut the biscuits in half, then top each half with whipped cream and strawberries. Serve the deliciously made strawberry shortcake dessert right away.
I suggest greasing your cast iron skillet with either oil or butter if it isn’t well seasoned. Apply a small layer of either to the sides and bottom. There’s no need to heat the iron skillet prior to using it, but you can if you want to, by doing so before placing the shaped biscuits within it for fifteen mins in the preheated oven.
Calories: 320 Kcal, Carbs: 40g, Protein: 4g, Fats: 16g
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What is the difference between cake and shortcake?
Although to untrained eyes they both appear identical, the difference is in the texture. Cake is often rich, light, and airy, whereas shortcake tends to be crumbly and crisp.
Q: Is shortcake a shortbread?
Shortbread is identical to shortcake except that it does not contain baking powder. Shortbread has a high fat content due to the abundance of creamy butter, which gives it a fine, crumbly structure. Shortcake & shortbread biscuits taste great just by themselves, with fruit & cream, or just dusted with a light sugar coating.