Please join us on this delicious journey into the world of sweet potato casserole. For many decades, this delectable dish has been a mainstay on holiday tables and a favorite comfort food. With its harmonious blend of sweet potatoes, warm spices, and a delectable topping, this dish has the power to transport us to a place of cozy nostalgia with every mouthful.
Let’s start making the ideal potato casserole that will make your taste buds sing and your loved ones ask for seconds. Get ready to discover the magic and deliciousness of this timeless classic that never fails to bring joy to the table.
Prep time: 20 to 30 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Sweet Potato Casserole Ingredients:
- 4 cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- Set the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius).
- Put the sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water to prepare. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes at medium-high heat until tender. Drain and transfer into a large bowl.
- With a fork, mash the sweet potatoes after draining.
- Once everything is blended, add the eggs. As you smooth it out, add salt, butter, vanilla, milk, and sugar.
- Put in a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mash brown sugar and flour together.
- Don’t over-mix; just add butter with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles gritty peas.
- Stir in pecans and sprinkle the topping over the sweet potato casserole.
- For about 30 minutes, bake in the preheated oven until topping is lightly browned
- Serve and enjoy hot!
Calories 227, Fat 10g, Carbs 31g, Protein 4g
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can You Make Sweet Potato Casserole Ahead of Time?
Yes, this potato casserole can be made up to two days in advance. Simply prepare the topping and filling separately to make them ahead of time; do not bake anything yet. Place the topping in an airtight container and tightly cover the baking dish. Prior to starting to cook, keep them both in the refrigerator.
When cooking, follow the instructions from above and bake well. You might need some extra minutes for baking to accommodate for the cool temperature.
Q: How to Store Sweet Potato Casserole?
After letting the casserole cool fully, put leftovers in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for three to five days.
Q: How to Reheat Sweet Potato Casserole?
To reheat, cover with foil and bake in a 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until heated through.
Q: Can You Freeze Sweet Potato Casserole?
Absolutely, yes! A great option to prepare sweet potato casserole ahead of time or store leftovers for later enjoyment is to freeze it. This delicious recipe freezes beautifully and retains its flavors and textures well. The option of freezing sweet potato casserole is practical if you’re getting ready for a hectic week, organizing a festive meal in advance, or just want to save those extra servings. Read on to learn how to freeze sweet potato casserole while maintaining its taste if you’re interested in prolonging the shelf life of this delightful treat.